- Master of Counselling in Counselling Psychology (Athabasca University);
- Bachelor of Arts, Major in Psychology, Minor in Sociology (University of Alberta)
- Perinatal Mood Disorders: Components of Care – 2023
- Hakomi Mindful Somatic Psychotherapy: An Experiential Introduction – 2023
- 5 day Brief & Narrative Therapy Certificate – 2023
- Body-Oriented Trauma Counselling Strategies- 2021
- Introduction to Play Therapy – 2021
- Working with Newcomers-Understanding Pre-Migration & Trauma – 2021
- First Responder to Sexual Assault & Abuse Training – 2018
Welcome; I would be honoured to travel alongside you to see if it aligns well for us to work together.
“I hope you find someone who speaks your language, so you don’t have to spend a lifetime translating your spirit.” – Dr. Thema Bryant
This quote highlights the therapeutic relationship because finding a good fit may take time. My hope for you is that you find someone who makes you feel seen, heard & supported wholeheartedly-mind, body, heart & spirit. I practice with a culturally responsive & socially just lens, which means I consider how cultural identity, values/beliefs, worldview, and positioning influence your overall well-being and interact within the therapy space. I believe you are the expert in your life to share your story, needs, and perspective of what is working well or not working for you throughout the process. I work from an integrative-eclectic approach drawing from Narrative Therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Attachment-Based Therapy and Somatic Based-Therapies.
Some key values you can expect from working with me are fostering safe(r), trauma-informed, equitable, anti-oppressive and decolonial spaces, embracing cultural humility and a relational approach. My style is gentle, compassionate, and collaborative to meet you wherever you are or may go in your therapy journey.
I have been involved in the mental health field for the past decade in various roles, working with children, youth, adults, and families. My experience includes supporting children and youth’s development in a school, group, and community setting, anti-sexual violence advocacy work, supporting survivors of sexual violence and working with other professions to support young people who have experienced marginalization & abuse/neglect.
Fun fact about Sherani:
I enjoy being in community and celebrating those around me. A few highlights thus far include biking 180 km in two days for the MS Bike tour and flying to Germany for ~48 hours to celebrate my grandfather’s 90th birthday.